President of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR), Secretary-General of the Polisario Front, Mr. Brahim Ghali, said Morocco “assumes full responsibility” for the outcome of the situation in the region after it had declared, on November 13, war on Sahrawi people and the military aggression on the civilian protesters near the illegal breach of El-Guerguerat, in the southwest of Western Sahara.
Speaking to the Italian daily newspaper La Repubblica, President Ghali said the Polisario Front had already “warned against any aberration or recklessness of the Moroccan army or of any civilian or security element against Saharawi civilians, as this will be translated as a declaration of war.”
He reminded the United Nations that the Polisario Front will “have a strong and firm reaction against any hostile action in self-defense to protect its sovereignty and our citizens.”
Ghali considered the inaction of the United Nations (UN) and the African Union (AU) as well as several countries, in spite of the Saharawi side’s calls, “has led to the escalation of tension that threatens the entire region.”
As a result, the head of the SADR said Morocco holds the “full responsibility” for the repercussions of the situation in the region following its violation of the ceasefire agreement, signed in 1991.”
The president of the Sahrawi Republic also criticized the latest Security Council resolution and the UN Secretary-General’s report, which showed a sort of “derision,” another disappointment for the Sahrawis and an example of the lack of clear political will to speed up the settlement plan agreed between the two parties, and approved by the Security Council.